We will look at the church in this section. Things like local/visible and universal/invisible church, the beginning of the church, the sacraments of baptism and communion, the vital importance of shepherds and the end of the church.
Local and/or Visible Church
This is our local and visible church.
Universal and/or Invisible Church
Concept that the elect are all in the invisible church that only God knows. Points of contention on the name and meaning.
The Beginning (The Day of Pentecost)- Acts 2
The beginning of the Church (the Body of Christ).
Washing away our sins by Jesus Christ.
- The Baptism of Jesus- Matthew 3:13-17/Mark 1:9-11/John 1:29-34
- Baptism for the remission of sins- Acts 2:38-39
- Appeal to God for a good conscience- 1 Peter 3:18-22
- Baptized into Jesus Christ- Romans 6:1-5
- Baptism of the Holy Spirit- Mark 1:8/Acts 19:1-6
- Baptism of Fire- Matthew 3:11-12/Luke 12:49-50
Lord’s Supper- Fellowship of the participants with Jesus Christ.
SHEPHERDS: Pastors, Elders, Overseers, and Deacons
- Judged with greater strictness- James 3:1
- Shepherd the Flock of God- 1 Peter 5:1-10
- Ministry of Apostles- 1 Corinthians 4:1-6
- Qualifications for Overseers and Deacons- 1 Timothy 3:1-13
- Qualifications for Elders- Titus 1:5-10
- Warnings for Shepherds- Ezekiel 34:1-10/Acts 20:28-31
- Irresponsible Leaders- Isaiah 56:9-12
- Jesus’s Word to the Shepherds of his time- Matthew 23:1-36
What does the Lord require of us with our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ?
The Lord invites us to his Sabbath Rest.
The End of the Church
End of the Church Age.