Welcome to the church or the Body of Christ!
A. Local and/or Visible Church
This is our local and visible church.
B. Universal and/or Invisible Church
Concept that the elect are all in the invisible church that only God knows. Points of contention on the name and meaning.
C. The Beginning (The Day of Pentecost)- Acts 2
The beginning of the Church (the Body of Christ).
Washing away our sins by Jesus Christ.
- 1. The Baptism of Jesus- Matthew 3:13-17/Mark 1:9-11/John 1:29-34
- 2. Baptism for the remission of sins- Acts 2:38-39
- 3. Appeal to God for a good conscience- 1 Peter 3:18-22
- 4. Baptized into Jesus Christ- Romans 6:1-5
- 5. Baptism of the Holy Spirit- Mark 1:8/Acts 19:1-6
- 6. Baptism of Fire- Matthew 3:11-12/Luke 12:49-50/1 Corinthians 3:11-15
Lord’s Supper- Fellowship of the participants with Jesus Christ.
F. SHEPHERDS: Pastors, Elders, Overseers, and Deacons
- 1. Judged with greater strictness- James 3:1
- 2. Shepherd the Flock of God- 1 Peter 5:1-10
- 3. Ministry of Apostles- 1 Corinthians 4:1-6
- 4. Qualifications for Overseers and Deacons- 1 Timothy 3:1-13
- 5. Qualifications for Elders- Titus 1:5-10
- 6. Warnings for Shepherds- Ezekiel 34:1-10/Acts 20:28-31
- 7. Irresponsible Leaders- Isaiah 56:9-12
- 8. Jesus’s Word to the Shepherds of his time- Matthew 23:1-36
G. Church Discipline
What does the Lord require of us with our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ?
Helpful guidelines for the Body of Christ today.
A look at what a Christian in the Body of Christ does and doesn’t do.
The Lord favors the Humble.
The Lord invites us to his Sabbath Rest.
The End of the Church
End of the Church Age.
A Follower of Jesus
4. Qualifications for Overseers and Deacons- 1 Timothy 3:1-13
1 TIMOTHY 3:1-13- THE SAYING IS TRUSTWORTHY: IF ANYONE ASPIRES TO THE OFFICE OF OVERSEER, THEY DESIRE A NOBLE TASK. THEREFORE AN OVERSEER MUST BE ABOVE REPROACH, THE SPOUSE OF ONE, SOBER-MINDED, SELF-CONTROLLED, RESPECTABLE, HOSPITABLE, ABLE TO TEACH, NOT A DRUNKARD, NOT VIOLENT BUT GENTLE, NOT QUARRELSOME, NOT A LOVER OF MONEY. THEY MUST MANGE THEIR OWN HOUSEHOLD WELL, WITH ALL DIGNITY KEEPING THEIR CHILDREN SUBMISSIVE. FOR IF SOMEONE DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO MANGE THEIR OWN HOUSEHOLD, HOW WILL THEY CARE FOR GOD’S CHURCH? THEY MUST NOT BE A RECENT CONVERT, OR THEY MAY BECOME PUFFED UP WITH CONCEIT AND FALL INTO THE CONDEMNATION OF THE DEVIL. MOREOVER, THEY MUST BE WELL THOUGHT OF BY OUTSIDERS, SO THAT THEY MAY NOT FALL INTO DISGRACE, INTO THE SNARE OF THE DEVIL. DEACONS LIKEWISE MUST BE DIGNIFIED, NOT DOUBLE-TONGUED, NOT ADDICTED TO MUCH WINE, NOT GREEDY FOR DISHONEST GAIN. THEY MUST HOLD THE MYSTERY OF THE FAITH WITH A CLEAR CONSCIENCE. AND LET THEM ALSO BE TESTED FIRST; THEN LET THEM SERVE AS DEACONS IF THEY PROVE THEMSELVES BLAMELESS. THEIR SPOUSES LIKEWISE MUST BE DIGNIFIED, NOT SLANDERERS, BUT SOBER-MINDED, FAITHFUL IN ALL THINGS. LET DEACONS EACH BE THE SPOUSE OF ONE, MANAGING THEIR CHILDREN AND THEIR OWN HOUSEHOLDS WELL. FOR THOSE WHO SERVE WELL AS DEACONS GAIN A GOOD STANDING FOR THEMSELVES AND ALSO GREAT CONFIDENCE IN THE FAITH THAT IS IN CHRIST JESUS.