BUT NOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN SET FREE FROM SIN AND HAVE BECOME SLAVES OF GOD, THE FRUIT YOU GET LEADS TO SANCTIFICATION AND ITS END, ETERNAL LIFE. ROMANS 6:22
BY WHICH HE HAS GRANTED TO US HIS PRECIOUS AND VERY GREAT PROMISES, SO THAT THROUGH THEM YOU MAY BECOME PARTAKERS OF THE DIVINE NATURE, HAVING ESCAPED FROM THE CORRUPTION THAT IS IN THE WORLD BECAUSE OF SINFUL DESIRE. 1 PETER 1:4
Definition- the process by the Holy Spirit’s work of making us holy. Sanctification is a work of God in us. We become Spiritual! It is specifically the work of this indwelling and directing Holy Spirit. It is a Spiritual Holiness. After the union with Jesus Christ and regeneration takes place, we still have indwelling sin. We are not yet conformed to the image of Jesus Christ yet. Sanctification is concerned with this and its aim is to eliminate all sin in us and conform us to the image of Jesus. It will be complete with the resurrection of our new spiritual bodies or when corruptible will put on incorruption and mortal will put on immortality. Let’s look at Philippians 3:21 and 1 Corinthians 15:54.
PHILIPPIANS 3:21- JESUS CHRIST WHO WILL TRANSFORM THE BODY OF OUR HUMBLE STATE INTO CONFORMITY WITH THE BODY OF HIS GLORY, BY THE EXERTION OF THE POWER THAT HE HAS EVEN TO SUBJECT ALL THINGS TO HIMSELF.
1 CORINTHIANS 15:53-54- FOR THIS PERISHABLE MUST PUT ON THE IMPERISHABLE, AND THIS MORTAL MUST PUT ON IMMORTALITY. BUT WHEN THIS PERISHABLE WILL HAVE PUT ON THE IMPERISHABLE, AND THIS MORTAL PUT ON IMMORTALITY, THEN WILL COME ABOUT THE SAYING THAT IS WRITTEN, DEATH OS SWALLOWED UP IN VICTORY.
It is important to realize that all sin in the believer is the contradiction of God’s holiness. This presence of sin in the believer involves conflict on their heart and life. What is needed is a constant and increasing appreciation that though sin still remains it does not have the mastery. So how does that happen? It happens with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the agent of sanctification. This is a mystery to us, but nevertheless true. For we are completely dependent on the Holy Spirit. We cannot do this without the Holy Spirit. We have both the Spirit of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit working in congruence within us. Let us look at 2 Corinthians 3:17-18.
2 CORINTHIANS 3:17-18- NOW THE LORD IS THE SPIRIT, AND WHERE THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS, THERE IS LIBERTY. BUT WE ALL, WITH UNVEILED FACE, BEHOLDING AS IN A MIRROR THE GLORY OF THE LORD, ARE BEING TRANSFORMED INTO THE SAME IMAGE FROM GLORY TO GLORY, JUST AS FROM THE LORD, THE SPIRIT.
1. Gracious work of God
2. Change of Lordship- transformation from reign of sin to reign of grace by God. Psalm 110:3
3. Power is the Holy Spirit, who applies the work of Christ to our lives. 2 thess. 2:13, 1thess. 4:7-8
4. God’s goal is our renewal after the image of God in Christ. Col. 3:10 and eph. 4:24
5. God has called us to be participants. Phil. 2:12-13
6. The Bible alerts us to a particular pattern for the believer. Good works and battles rom. 7:14-25, gal. 5:17
7. The question we ask is how justification and sanctification are different from each other. Justification is an act of God’s grace while sanctification is the work of God’s grace. One time while the other is ongoing and progressive. First is perfect and the other imperfect, but growing in perfection. The first addresses the guilt of sin and the other the dominion and presence of sin. The first imputes the righteousness of Christ and the other God but the Holy Spirit infuses grace- it becomes inwardly more and more.